Politics

Presidency dismisses Obi’s call for Tinubu’s resignation

The Presidency has rejected Peter Obi’s call for President Bola Tinubu to resign, describing the demand as “childish, hollow and an unworthy distraction.”

 

In a statement issued on Monday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the Presidency said Obi’s comparison of Tinubu’s administration with the resignation of UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer was misplaced, noting that Nigeria operates a presidential system with a fixed four-year tenure, unlike Britain’s parliamentary system.

 

The Presidency also argued that the recent victories recorded by the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Ekiti governorship election and several senatorial by-elections reflected continued public support for President Tinubu and his administration.

 

Defending the government’s performance, the statement highlighted improvements in security, claiming that over 15,000 terrorists had been eliminated, hundreds of abducted victims rescued, and several terrorist leaders neutralised through ongoing military operations.

 

On the economy, the Presidency said Nigeria has recorded positive GDP growth since 2023, rising oil production, increased foreign reserves, higher government revenue and improved investor confidence. It also pointed to the absence of nationwide university strikes over the past three years as one of the administration’s achievements.

 

The statement further accused Obi of misrepresenting Tinubu’s campaign promises on electricity, insisting the President never pledged to provide 24-hour power supply immediately but had initiated reforms, including the implementation of the Electricity Act and expansion of prepaid meter and off-grid solar projects.

 

While acknowledging that the rising cost of living remains a challenge, the Presidency attributed part of the economic pressure to global factors, including the Middle East conflict and disruptions to international supply chains.

 

Earlier on Monday, Obi had urged Tinubu to resign, citing worsening economic hardship and insecurity. He said his position was influenced by the resignation announcement of British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, arguing that leaders should take responsibility when they fail to meet public expectations.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago