Security

Lawal rejects talks with bandits as 50 Zamfara elders remain in captivity

Zamfara State Governor Dauda Lawal has reaffirmed his administration’s refusal to negotiate with bandits, following the abduction of 50 community elders who reportedly visited a notorious bandit leader’s camp in search of a peace agreement.

 

The elders, from Magamin Diddi village in Maradun Local Government Area, were said to have travelled earlier this month to meet a bandit kingpin known as Jammo in the Muntsira Forest. Their mission was to secure safe access to farmlands during the farming season, but they were instead taken hostage.

 

Reacting to the incident, Governor Lawal said the delegation acted without the knowledge or approval of the state government, insisting that his administration has never supported dialogue with terrorists.

 

Speaking with BBC Hausa, the governor questioned why the elders embarked on such a mission without official authorisation.

 

“Who sent them to negotiate? It certainly was not the government. We have consistently stated that we do not support negotiations with terrorists,” he said.

 

Lawal added that the government was investigating the incident but maintained that engaging bandits in negotiations only strengthens criminal groups. He argued that previous peace deals in the state had failed to end insecurity and instead enabled bandits to acquire more weapons.

 

The governor reiterated that his administration would continue military operations against armed groups until they surrender, noting that security had improved despite ongoing attacks.

 

However, the incident has generated mixed reactions among residents and security observers. While some support the government’s hardline stance, others argue that dialogue is necessary to end the persistent killings, kidnappings and disruption of farming activities across the state.

 

Some residents claim several communities have resorted to negotiating directly with bandits and paying levies to gain access to their farmlands due to the worsening security situation.

 

Despite the criticism, Governor Lawal insisted that sustained security operations remain the best approach, expressing confidence that Zamfara would eventually overcome the challenge.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago