May 20, 2026

Peter Obi cleared for NDC presidential primary

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has screened and cleared former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, to contest its presidential primary ahead of the 2027 general election.

 

Chairman of the party’s National Screening Committee and former Ebonyi State Governor, Senator Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.

 

Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.

 

“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu said.

 

The screening exercise was held in Abuja on Tuesday.

 

Obi, reacting through his official X account on Wednesday, said the exercise lasted over two and a half hours, during which his credentials were reviewed and he was questioned on his plans for Nigeria.

 

“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations,” Obi said.

 

“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.

 

“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he added.

 

Obi also commended the screening committee and party leadership for conducting what he described as a transparent process.

 

“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he said.

 

The development comes as opposition parties intensify preparations and consultations ahead of the 2027 elections.

 

Obi currently remains the sole presidential aspirant of the NDC after the party closed the sale of expression of interest forms for the presidential position.

 

The NDC had earlier announced an extension for the collection of expression of interest forms for governorship, National Assembly and State Assembly aspirants until May 24, 2026.

 

According to the party timetable, screening of aspirants began on May 19 and will end on May 26, while collection and submission of nomination forms for cleared aspirants commenced on May 20 and will close on May 26.