Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, causing panic among traders and residents in the area.
Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return at the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo following his re-election.
An eyewitness said the governor was received by the monarch and presented his Certificate of Return to him.
According to the eyewitness, the attack occurred shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers.
The eyewitness said Adeleke had already entered a vehicle with his close aides when heavy gunshots were heard.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.
A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, alleged that the assailants may have been aware of the governor’s visit and had waited for his arrival.
She said the attackers arrived in a Sienna vehicle and damaged the palace’s main gate during the incident.
“They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she said.
The incident caused panic in the area, with traders and residents reportedly fleeing their businesses and seeking safety during the shooting.
The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack when contacted.
Alimi described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
