May 16, 2026

Bandits still holding my wife despite N20m ransom payment — Kwara pastor

The pastor of the Evangelical Church of West Africa, ECWA, in Omugo, Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, Sunday Omole, has lamented that bandits are still holding his wife and other abducted residents despite allegedly receiving N20 million ransom and other supplies from victims’ families.

 

Speaking with journalists on Friday, Omole accused the abductors of continuously extorting families through repeated ransom demands while refusing to release the victims.

 

He called on the Federal Government to launch a coordinated military operation to clear forests linking Kwara, Kogi and Niger states, which he claimed serve as hideouts for the kidnappers.

 

According to him, the abductors recently increased their ransom demand to N300 million after allegedly receiving N20 million last month alongside food items, petrol, red oil, seasoning cubes and other supplies.

 

“Since we took N20m ransom to the terrorists together with five bags of rice, four kegs of 30 litres petrol, one keg of red oil, one packet of Maggi, and N40,000 worth of hard drugs, we have been expecting our people.

 

“It is almost a month now, precisely since April 29, 2026, and they refused to release them,” he said.

 

The cleric further disclosed that another resident kidnapped three weeks ago remained in captivity despite the payment of N2 million ransom.

 

“Another young man was kidnapped three weeks ago. They collected ransom of N2m about three days ago and they still refused to release him.

 

“The young man was returning from his farm where he went to look for what to eat and they abducted him. That is what we are passing through. It has not been easy,” he said.

 

Omole criticised the security response in the area, alleging that security operatives deployed to the community had failed to enter the forests where the kidnappers operate.

 

“Each time they send in soldiers, the soldiers will not reach the forest side. They will just be walking around the community and say they are working. The soldiers never entered the real forests where the terrorists are,” he alleged.

 

He described the continued captivity of his wife as emotionally devastating, saying the kidnappers still contact the families for more money.

 

“I have been devastated. It has not been easy. It has become an issue and a war in my bones. Up till now they have not released my wife. They are still demanding N300m. Each time they call, they ask us how much we have raised. It is like they want to be exploiting us,” he said.

 

The pastor disclosed that he had relocated from Omugo community, adding that many residents had fled while church activities had been suspended since the attack.

 

“I have moved out of Omugo. The community is deserted. We have closed the church since that incident. I have not stepped my foot in the church since that incident,” he said.

 

Omole also expressed frustration over what he described as the absence of government support or official communication since the incident occurred.

 

“Not even a greeting from the government. There was no statement by the government about what happened in Omugo and they have not reached out to us. It is only the church that has stood by us,” he said.

 

The abduction occurred on Sunday, March 22, 2026, when armed men invaded the church during a Sunday service, shooting sporadically before abducting eight worshippers, including the pastor’s wife and elderly members of the congregation.

 

Security operatives later rescued three of the victims during a joint operation involving police, military personnel and local vigilantes.

 

The attackers initially demanded about N1 billion ransom before reportedly reducing it to N150 million after negotiations.