Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases
Uganda has confirmed three additional Ebola virus cases, bringing the total number of infections in the current outbreak to five since the disease was first detected in the country on May 15.
The Ministry of Health announced on Saturday that the newly confirmed cases involve a Ugandan driver, a Ugandan health worker, and a woman from the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, where an Ebola outbreak is ongoing.
In a statement posted on X, the ministry said efforts were being intensified to contain the spread of the disease.
“The ministry continues to strengthen surveillance, case management, contact tracing and public awareness efforts to contain the outbreak and protect the health and safety of all Ugandans,” the statement said.
The development comes days after the World Health Organisation raised the risk level of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to its highest classification over concerns about regional spread.
Uganda had earlier suspended public transport links with the DRC after confirming two initial Ebola cases, including one fatality involving Congolese nationals who crossed into the country.
Health authorities said response efforts remain focused on contact tracing, enhanced surveillance and public awareness measures to prevent further transmission.
