Education

Ondo closes selected schools ahead of APC Assembly election

The Ondo State Government has ordered the temporary closure of selected public primary and secondary schools ahead of the All Progressives Congress State House of Assembly election scheduled for Wednesday.

 

The directive was contained in a statement issued by the Ondo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.

 

According to the ministry, the affected schools would serve as designated polling centres for the election across the 18 local government areas of the state.

 

The government said the decision was part of measures to ensure the safety of students, teachers and school personnel during the electoral exercise.

 

“All learners, teachers, and other staff in the affected schools are hereby directed to stay at home on the election day,” the statement read.

 

The ministry said the temporary closure was necessary to guarantee a peaceful and orderly electoral process within school premises.

 

It added that heads of affected schools would be contacted directly to ensure compliance, while officials from Zonal and Area Education Offices would monitor implementation across affected local government areas.

 

The government, however, assured parents and candidates participating in the ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination that arrangements had been made to ensure examinations continue without disruption.

 

It also said measures were in place to guarantee the safety of students, especially those in boarding facilities.

 

Academic activities in affected schools are expected to resume on Thursday.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Akinrun Stool Still Vacant, Osun Govt Warns Against Illegal Claims

The Osun State Government has declared that the Akinrun Chieftaincy Stool in Ikirun remains vacant,…

8 hours ago

NILDS DG Abubakar Suleiman withdraws from Kwara APC governorship race

The Director-General of the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies (NILDS), Abubakar Suleiman, has…

8 hours ago

Court fixes June 5 for judgment in suit seeking deregistration of ADC, Accord, others

The Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed June 5, 2026, for judgment in a…

8 hours ago

CBN retains Monetary Policy Rate at 26.5%

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has voted to…

8 hours ago

Desmond Elliot withdraws from Lagos Assembly APC primary race

The lawmaker representing Surulere I Constituency in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot,…

9 hours ago

Oyo warns residents against spreading false security information

The Oyo State Government has warned residents against spreading unverified security information, saying misinformation could…

9 hours ago