Pantami announced his withdrawal in a statement issued by Barrister Ibrahim M. Attahir on behalf of the Pantamiyya Movement.
The former minister had earlier opposed the consensus arrangement that produced Jamilu Gwamna and had vowed to challenge what he described as injustice within the party.
According to the statement, Pantami decided to pull out of the race after consultations with stakeholders and concerns over the conduct of the primary process.
He alleged violations of the Electoral Act and accused party officials of failing to provide conditions for a transparent and credible primary election.
Pantami claimed he was denied access to critical information, including accreditation procedures, voting arrangements and collation centres ahead of the scheduled primary.
He also alleged that letters sent to party organs seeking clarification on the conduct of the direct primaries were neither acknowledged nor responded to.
“When Prof. Pantami accepted calls from leaders, youth, women, and other stakeholders to contest for the governorship of Gombe State, he demonstrated loyalty to the APC by participating fully, meeting requirements, and following the laid-down guidelines and procedures,” the statement said.
It added that Pantami was the only governorship aspirant represented at the Peace Accord organised by the Nigeria Police Force in Gombe on May 14, 2026.
“Despite his loyalty, he was repeatedly denied access to critical information. Letters sent by his solicitors to the various organs of the party requesting details and raising concerns about the forthcoming governorship direct primaries received no reply or acknowledgment,” the statement added.
Pantami also criticised the conduct of recent National Assembly direct primaries in the state, alleging that grassroots members were sidelined.
“The people of Gombe State witnessed what transpired during the direct primary elections for the National Assembly held on May 16 and 18. The strength of Pantami lies in his massive grassroots support, particularly among women and youth,” the statement said.
The former minister said his withdrawal from the governorship primary scheduled for May 21 was a peaceful protest against what he described as irregularities in the process.
“After extensive consultations with stakeholders and careful reflection on developments in Gombe State, Prof. Pantami has taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primary election scheduled for May 21, 2026, under protest,” the statement said.
Pantami also alleged that directives by President Bola Tinubu for free, fair and credible direct primaries were not implemented.
He thanked supporters, particularly youths and women, for backing his aspiration and urged them to remain peaceful and law-abiding.
The Pantamiyya Movement said it would announce its next political steps in due course.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…