Health

Ogun Govt confirms full recovery of victims in Ijebu-Ode gas incident

The Ogun State Government has confirmed that all persons affected by the recent chemical inhalation incident in some schools in Ijebu-Ode have fully recovered and been discharged from the hospital.

 

The Commissioner for Health, Tomi Coker, disclosed this on Saturday during an engagement with parents, guardians, and community stakeholders at Our Lady of Apostles Secondary School.

 

Recall that a gas leakage incident on Friday affected over 100 students and teachers across several schools in the area, prompting emergency medical response and hospital admissions.

 

According to the state government, those admitted at the State Hospital, Ijebu-Ode, and Ijebu-Ife have now been certified fit and discharged.

 

“There were persons admitted at the Ijebu-Ode State Hospital and others at Ijebu-Ife who were affected by the methane emission… I am glad to say that all have been discharged. They are hale and hearty,” Coker said.

 

She explained that methane, while non-toxic, can displace oxygen and cause breathing difficulties, fatigue, and in severe cases, loss of consciousness. However, she noted that no severe cases were recorded during the incident.

 

Coker added that the government has deployed emergency response measures, including ambulance services across all wards in Ijebu-Ode, as well as rapid response teams and surveillance officers to strengthen preparedness.

 

She also said the state had notified the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and would conduct toxicology tests on some of the affected children to assess exposure levels.

 

Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, said gas analysers had been installed around the affected schools to monitor air quality, while education authorities assured parents of strengthened safety measures in schools.

 

Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Abayomi Arigbabu, urged residents to remain calm, stressing that student safety remains a top priority.

 

Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, Bode Ojajuni, said security agencies, including the School Protection Squad and explosive ordnance experts, had been deployed to the area, with drone surveillance also activated to monitor the environment and ensure public safety.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Kwara APC Governorship Race Deepens as 16 Aspirants Boycott Consensus Meeting, Party Faces Fresh Internal Tension

The governorship contest of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara State has taken a…

10 hours ago

DHQ Clarifies Operation Against Al-Minuki, Says No Foreign Troops Involved

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has clarified that no foreign soldiers took part in the ground…

10 hours ago

APC Reconciliation Deal Collapses Ahead of Osun Guber Poll

A power-sharing arrangement initiated by the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun…

10 hours ago

Atiku Blasts FG Over Response to South Africa Xenophobia Crisis

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the Federal Government over what he described as…

13 hours ago

Bauchi Permanent Secretary Dies in Saudi Arabia During 2026 Hajj

The Permanent Secretary for Special Services in the Office of the Secretary to the Bauchi…

13 hours ago

I don’t want a woman to be cause of my death — Frank Edoho

Popular television host Frank Edoho has said his greatest fear is dying as a result…

13 hours ago