The duo, who were received at a ceremony in Abuja on Sunday by NDC National Chairman, Cleopas Moses Zuwoghe, were presented with membership cards shortly after their official entry into the party.
Kwankwaso and Obi recently left the African Democratic Congress (ADC), citing uncertainties following the Supreme Court ruling of April 30 that affected the party’s internal stability.
Speaking after joining the NDC, Kwankwaso said their decision was driven by a shared ideological commitment and the need for a credible political alternative.
According to him, the new platform offers Nigerians an opportunity to rebuild trust in governance and democratic institutions.
“Yesterday, we took a bold and decisive step by formally joining the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC),” Kwankwaso said.
“At the residence of Senator Seriake Dickson in Abuja, I announced that our decision stems from a deep commitment to democratic values.
“We are determined to provide our people with a credible platform where they can thrive and realise their full potential.
“I therefore call on all our dedicated supporters and well-meaning Nigerians to join the NDC and stand with us in this renewed fight for good governance and true democracy.”
Kwankwaso had earlier left the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), the platform on which he contested the 2023 presidential election, before briefly aligning with the ADC in March.
Also speaking, Obi urged party members to avoid internal disputes and litigation, warning that such conflicts could derail efforts to build a strong opposition ahead of 2027.
“Please let there be no litigation. Party members, please don’t go to court. We want to build a party; we are not lawyers,” Obi said.
“We are pleading with the judiciary to help end party-related disputes so we can focus on building a new Nigeria that is possible.
“We want a country where a child of nobody can become somebody without knowing anybody.”
The NDC leadership described the defections as a major boost for the party’s growing national structure and reform agenda ahead of the next election cycle.
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…
The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…