Sawe surged ahead in the closing stages to defeat Ethiopia’s Yomif Kejelcha, crossing the finish line in 1:59:30—becoming the first athlete to officially run a sub-two-hour marathon under standard competition rules.
Kejelcha, making his marathon debut, also dipped below the two-hour mark with a time of 1:59:41, while Uganda’s Jacob Kiplimo finished third in 2:00:28. All three runners went under the previous world record of 2:00:35 set by the late Kelvin Kiptum in 2023.
“We started the race well and at the end, I was feeling strong,” Sawe said. “When I saw the time, I was so excited to realise I had run a world record.”
The Kenyan, competing in London for the second time, credited his preparation for the historic feat.
Sawe had led a group of six runners at the halfway mark before pulling away alongside Kejelcha and eventually breaking clear near the finish.
In the women’s race, Assefa delivered a commanding performance, finishing in 2:15:41 to break her previous women’s-only world record set last year.
“I’m so happy to win again,” she said. “It was one of my plans to break my own record, so this brings me a lot of satisfaction.”
She pulled away from Kenyan duo Hellen Obiri and Joyciline Jepkosgei in the final stretch. Obiri finished second in a personal best of 2:15:53, narrowly ahead of Jepkosgei.
The race attracted more than 59,000 participants, with organisers exploring the possibility of expanding the event to a two-day format to accommodate up to 100,000 runners in future editions.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…