General News

Malami accuses EFCC of illegal takeover of properties, says no court order was presented

Former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of unlawfully taking over some of his residences and offices without presenting a valid court order.

Malami, through a statement issued on Monday by his media aide, Mohammed Bello Doka, alleged that operatives of the anti-graft agency, accompanied by armed security personnel, forcefully entered and took possession of properties linked to him.

According to the former AGF, two persons found at the premises were also taken into custody during the operation.

He argued that the interim forfeiture order earlier obtained by the commission had already expired, noting that the order granted by the Federal High Court in January was valid for only 14 days.

Malami maintained that the matter remains before the court and that no fresh order authorising the takeover of the affected properties had been issued.

He said: “The case instituted by the EFCC before the Federal High Court, Abuja Division, is still pending, and no final determination has been made on the issues in dispute.

“The interim forfeiture order relied upon by the EFCC has elapsed. The ex parte order granted on January 6, 2026, was expressly time-bound and has since lapsed.

“At the time of the operation, EFCC officials were asked to produce a lawful court order authorising their actions, but they failed to do so.”

Malami further alleged that the commission proceeded to mark and occupy the buildings in what he described as a violation of due process and established legal procedures.

It will be recalled that in January, a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the interim forfeiture of 57 properties said to be linked to Malami and two of his sons over alleged proceeds of unlawful activities.

The court had directed the anti-graft agency to publish the order in a national newspaper and invite interested parties to show cause why the assets should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

In February, Malami challenged the forfeiture order before the court.

The former justice minister is also facing separate criminal charges filed by the EFCC and the Department of State Services.

He was recently granted bail in a terrorism-related case instituted by the DSS.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

3 hours ago

US lifts 12-year entry restriction on vessels from Nigeria

The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…

3 hours ago

2027: ‘Peace Accord Meaningless Without Justice, Accountability’ — Adebayo

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has questioned the effectiveness…

3 hours ago

Drug allegations: Tinubu backs US request for 10-day delay in records release

President Bola Tinubu has joined a request by the United States Department of Justice for…

3 hours ago

Tinubu, EFCC Boss Meet on Seized Houses After Osun Freeze Row

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday met with the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial…

3 hours ago

I would have helped Tinubu win Osun — Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said he could have helped President…

3 hours ago