Politics

NBC advisory an attempt to gag media ahead of elections — Atiku

Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, has criticised the recent advisory issued by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), describing it as a subtle move to stifle free speech and restrict media freedom ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Atiku, in a statement posted on his verified X handle on Saturday night, said the directive amounted to “pre-election censorship” and an attempt to shrink Nigeria’s democratic space.

The NBC had earlier cautioned broadcast presenters against presenting opinions as facts or intimidating guests on air, while also warning media houses to avoid spreading misinformation as political activities intensify ahead of the elections.

However, Atiku faulted the timing and intent of the advisory, arguing that it reflects a pattern of restrictive regulation whenever the country approaches an election cycle.

He maintained that Nigeria’s broadcast industry had earned global respect for resilience and professionalism, adding that it was “alarming” for the regulator to resort to what he described as heavy-handed directives.

“I stand firmly with Nigeria’s broadcast industry and all media platforms resisting this creeping censorship,” he said.

According to him, ethical journalism standards should not be selectively enforced or used as political tools during campaigns.

Atiku further alleged that the tone and timing of the NBC directive suggest a broader attempt to control public narratives rather than promote fairness and transparency in the electoral process.

The NBC advisory comes amid growing political mobilisation ahead of the 2027 general elections, where the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is expected to present President Bola Tinubu for re-election, while opposition figures continue discussions under the African Democratic Congress (ADC) coalition platform.

Key figures in the emerging opposition alliance include Atiku Abubakar, Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate Peter Obi, former Kano State governor Rabiu Kwankwaso, ex-Kaduna governor Nasir el-Rufai, and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi.

The opposition coalition has described its formation as a strategic effort to deepen democratic competition and challenge the dominance of the ruling party.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

1 hour ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

1 hour ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

1 hour ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

5 hours ago