May 21, 2026

2027: Back Tinubu or risk losing federal projects, Umahi tells South-East

Minister of Works, David Umahi, has called on South-East residents to support President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 general elections, saying continued backing for the administration would help sustain ongoing federal infrastructure projects across the region.

 

Umahi made the appeal on Wednesday during an inspection of federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State.

 

The minister said the current administration had undertaken infrastructure investments in the South-East on a scale not previously witnessed in the region.

 

Among the projects inspected was the Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, which Umahi described as one of President Tinubu’s legacy projects.

 

He said the section from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary spans about 123 kilometres and is being built with reinforced concrete pavement and solar-powered streetlights at an estimated cost of N454 billion.

 

According to him, the Federal Government has already released 50 per cent funding for the project, while approvals are underway for the dualisation of key sections.

 

Umahi added that another section of the corridor, covering about 178 kilometres from the Ebonyi–Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi and Nasarawa states to Oweto Bridge, carries a contract value of N685 billion.

 

Despite acknowledging funding challenges affecting contractors, the minister said the Federal Government remained committed to completing ongoing projects.

 

“The President has assured us that all contractors owed will be paid. Today, there is hardly any state in Nigeria without a construction site under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” he said.

 

Umahi urged communities benefiting from federal infrastructure to support the administration politically.

 

“Last time, Afikpo people did not vote for APC. If they want this bridge completed, I will require 100 per cent of the votes. I am not asking for 99 per cent,” he said.

 

The former Ebonyi State governor argued that major projects currently underway demonstrate the administration’s commitment to integrating the South-East into national development.

 

“We shouted marginalisation before, but today no ministry is bigger than the Ministry of Works, and it is being headed by an Igbo man. The President has integrated the South-East into the mainstream of Nigerian politics,” Umahi said.

 

He urged political leaders in the region to publicly support the administration and sensitise residents about ongoing projects.

 

Umahi expressed confidence that significant portions of the infrastructure projects would be completed before the end of the year.

 

“This election is not lottery. Presidency is not won by sentiments but by strategic planning. We must support the President to complete these projects and secure greater opportunities for the South-East,” he said.

 

The minister also maintained that the Tinubu administration had recorded progress in infrastructure, security, education, healthcare and youth development.

 

“We will shock the nation in Ebonyi State because we will deliver 95 per cent of our votes to President Tinubu. The last election outcome was an accident of history and it will not repeat itself,” Umahi added.