Politics

Osun Election: Adeleke Campaign Raises Alarm Over Security Presence at Speaker’s Residence

The Adeleke Campaign Council has raised the alarm over the alleged presence of armed security personnel at the residence of the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun, on Saturday, the day of the governorship election.

 

The campaign council, in a statement by its spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, said the personnel reportedly arrived in more than 10 black Hilux vehicles and surrounded the Speaker’s residence.

 

It alleged that the residence had been sealed off, with people inside reportedly prevented from leaving.

 

The council, however, said it could not independently confirm the purpose of the deployment or whether the personnel were providing security or carrying out official duties.

 

“We have received reports that the residence of the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Adewale Egbedun, has been surrounded by armed security personnel who reportedly arrived in more than 10 black Hilux vehicles,” the statement said.

 

“We have also been informed that the residence has effectively been sealed off, with everyone inside reportedly prevented from leaving the premises.”

 

The campaign council called on the relevant security agencies to immediately clarify the reason for the deployment and the reported restriction of movement at the residence.

 

Olajengbesi said attempts to reach the Commissioner of Police overseeing election security in the state and the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of the election were unsuccessful.

 

He added that efforts to contact the Police Situation Room also failed, noting that the publicly provided telephone number was switched off.

 

The campaign council urged security agencies to ensure that their operations on election day did not create fear or intimidation among residents.

 

“On this Election Day, the people of Osun State deserve an atmosphere free from fear and intimidation. Security deployments must inspire confidence and protect the integrity of the electoral process,” it said.

 

The council also appealed to residents to remain peaceful and law-abiding while awaiting an official explanation from the security authorities.

 

“The people of Osun State must be allowed to come out peacefully and decide their future according to their own conscience, without intimidation or interference,” the statement added.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

32 minutes ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

42 minutes ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

50 minutes ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

1 hour ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

1 hour ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

5 hours ago