World News

FG condemns killing of two Nigerians in South Africa, demands justice

The Federal Government has condemned the killing of two Nigerian nationals in South Africa and called on the South African authorities to urgently investigate the incidents and bring those responsible to justice.

 

In a statement issued on Sunday by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, the government expressed concern over what it described as a growing pattern of attacks against Nigerians and other foreign nationals in South Africa.

 

The victims were identified as Emeka Charles Iroegbu and Musa Yunana Joe, popularly known as Big Joe.

 

According to the ministry, Iroegbu was allegedly killed by officers of the Tshwane Metro Police on June 28, 2026, in Sunnyside, Pretoria, during what it described as a “gruesome interrogation.”

 

The ministry also alleged that the same officers were responsible for the extra-judicial killing of another Nigerian, Nnaemeka Mathew Andrew Ekpenyong, on April 20, 2026, adding that no arrests had been made despite the identities of the officers allegedly being known to the South African Police Service.

 

It said Big Joe was shot dead in front of his shop on June 28, 2026, in Witbank, Mpumalanga, by unidentified gunmen.

 

The Federal Government urged South African authorities to thoroughly investigate the two killings and other unresolved cases involving Nigerian nationals.

 

“Our position remains that no matter what the allegations or suspicions may be, there are lawful processes and steps to justice. All must be presumed innocent and granted fair hearing in a court of law,” the statement said.

 

The ministry also condemned recent remarks by a South African government spokesperson suggesting that Nigerians leaving the country because of xenophobic violence should disclose the locations of illegal drug operations.

 

It described the comments as unacceptable, saying such statements amount to hate speech capable of inciting violence against Nigerians.

 

The government also criticised groups accused of promoting xenophobic attacks and warned that those responsible for inciting violence could face regional and international accountability.

 

While urging Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm, obey the law and avoid areas prone to violence, the Federal Government advised those at risk to relocate to safer locations as diplomatic efforts continue.

 

It also appealed to Nigerians at home not to retaliate, reaffirming its commitment to resolving the matter through dialogue and diplomacy.

 

The ministry disclosed that the evacuation of registered Nigerians from South Africa was ongoing and stressed that South Africa has an obligation under international law to protect the lives and property of all foreigners residing in the country.

 

It warned that if attacks against Nigerians continue, “all options remain on the table,” while calling for an end to what it described as intolerance and discrimination against foreign nationals.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago