Education

FG to conduct National Learning Assessment every three years

The Federal Government has announced plans to institutionalise the National Learning Assessment every three years as part of efforts to reduce learning poverty and improve the quality of education across the country.

 

The Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, disclosed this on Friday after monitoring the 2026 National Learning Assessment in selected public and private schools in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

 

The minister visited Government Secondary School, Kuje; Junior Secondary School, Kuje Central; and Topaz Model School, Kuje, where he assessed the ongoing exercise.

 

Alausa said the assessment, which covers pupils in Primary Three and Five, as well as students in Junior Secondary School Two and Senior Secondary School Two, is designed to evaluate literacy, numeracy and cognitive skills.

 

He explained that the exercise would become a routine national assessment every three years, adding that the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) had been directed to make budgetary provision for subsequent assessments beginning in 2029.

 

According to him, the assessment is necessary to determine whether pupils and students are acquiring the expected knowledge and skills at different stages of their education.

 

The minister said the initiative was also aimed at addressing Nigeria’s learning poverty challenge, noting that previous reports indicated millions of children could not read age-appropriate texts by the age of 10.

 

He expressed confidence that ongoing education reforms would improve learning outcomes, while the assessment would provide reliable data to guide evidence-based policy decisions.

 

Alausa also disclosed that the Federal Government had harmonised various learning assessment frameworks into a single national system to ensure consistency and facilitate long-term tracking of learning outcomes.

 

On private schools, the minister commended their contribution to expanding access to education but stressed the need for stronger regulation to ensure compliance with minimum standards.

 

Meanwhile, the Mandate Secretary of the FCT Education Secretariat, Dr Danlami Hayyo, said more than 120 public schools had been renovated under the administration of FCT Minister Nyesom Wike.

 

He said the projects included the rehabilitation of classrooms, boarding facilities and sanitation infrastructure, reaffirming the FCT Administration’s commitment to supporting efforts to improve the quality of education.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

4 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

4 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

5 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

5 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago