Security

Army seeks evidence over alleged misconduct involving personnel at UNIOSUN

The Headquarters of Depot NigerianArmy, Osogbo, has appealed to alleged victims and witnesses to provide evidence to support the ongoing investigation into allegations of misconduct involving some recently passed-out military personnel.

 

The appeal follows allegations by the management and students of Osun State University (UNIOSUN) that newly passed-out non-commissioned officers invaded several student hostels on Monday night, assaulted students, stole mobile phones and allegedly raped some female students.

 

In a statement issued on Friday, the Assistant Director of Army Public Relations, Depot Nigerian Army, Osogbo, Major Ibrahim Yahaya, said the Board of Inquiry earlier constituted to investigate the allegations was continuing its work.

 

He said the Nigerian Army remained committed to conducting a thorough, impartial and transparent investigation, assuring that any personnel found culpable would face disciplinary action in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable laws.

 

“The Board of Inquiry previously constituted to investigate the allegations is continuing its work and will leave no stone unturned,” the statement said.

 

Addressing allegations of rape circulating on social media, the Army said it had taken note of claims attributed to the Vice-Chancellor of UNIOSUN, Professor Odunayo Clement Adebooye, but noted that it had yet to receive any formal complaint, medical report or other credible evidence to substantiate the allegation.

 

“At this time, Depot Nigerian Army, Osogbo, has not received any formal complaint, medical report, or credible evidence from any alleged victim, witness, or the University Management to substantiate the claim of rape by our personnel,” the statement added.

 

The Army urged alleged victims of assault or sexual misconduct, as well as eyewitnesses with verifiable information, including videos, photographs, medical records or written statements, to submit such evidence confidentially to the Board of Inquiry or the Army Public Relations Office.

 

It assured the public that the identities and safety of those providing information would be protected in line with military and legal procedures.

 

The Army also appealed to the media, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), the university management and the public to refrain from circulating unverified information capable of undermining the ongoing investigation.

 

It reiterated its commitment to civil-military relations, the protection of students, respect for human rights and providing updates as the investigation progresses.

 

UNIOSUN had earlier reported the alleged attack on its students by soldiers from the Army Depot, Osogbo, prompting the military to launch an investigation into the claims.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

5 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

5 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

5 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

5 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

5 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

9 hours ago