UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric disclosed this on Thursday at the organisation’s headquarters in New York, saying the UN was working closely with Venezuelan authorities to support ongoing emergency response efforts.
According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the first earthquake measured magnitude 7.2 and struck near the city of San Felipe, while a second, stronger 7.5-magnitude quake followed less than a minute later. It is reported to be the most powerful earthquake to hit Venezuela in more than 125 years.
Dujarric said Guterres extended his condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and wished those injured a speedy recovery.
Initial reports indicate widespread destruction across several states, including the capital, Caracas. Authorities say many people remain trapped or missing, while critical infrastructure has been damaged and essential services disrupted.
The UN said its country team and the Humanitarian Country Team have begun mobilising assistance, with the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) facilitating the deployment of urban search-and-rescue teams.
Guterres also welcomed offers of assistance from UN member states and reaffirmed the organisation’s support for the Venezuelan government and people.
The Venezuelan government has declared a state of emergency, while international rescue teams and humanitarian assistance continue to arrive from across the region and beyond.
UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher said the organisation and its humanitarian partners had been fully mobilised, with a central coordination hub established in Caracas to support relief efforts and coordinate incoming international search-and-rescue teams.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) warned that the disaster could worsen existing humanitarian challenges, particularly for displaced people, returnees and vulnerable communities, increasing risks such as gender-based violence, inadequate shelter and limited access to healthcare, clean water, education and livelihoods.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…