Security

Ilobu Killing: Family Petitions IGP, Seeks Arrest of Eight Suspects

The family of 14-year-old Ezekiel Olapade has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, demanding the immediate arrest, investigation and prosecution of eight persons alleged to have been involved in the fatal shooting of the teenager in Ilobu, Osun State.

 

The petition, dated June 23, 2026, was submitted through the family’s solicitors, Law Corridor, following the incident that occurred on June 21 in Ilobu, Irepodun Local Government Area.

 

The petition identified Kareem Saheed, popularly known as “Tanfeani”, as the principal suspect. Others named are Ganiyu Habeeb Olaide, Alani Odedowo, Yekini Ismaila, also known as “Ayan”, Afeez Abass, alias “SS”, Adejumo Habeeb, alias “Jama”, Afeez Yekini, alias “Feleru”, and Oyeladun Muideen, also known as “Akilapa Okinin”.

 

The teenager reportedly died after being struck by a stray bullet when armed men allegedly opened fire near the Irepodun Local Government Secretariat in Ilobu.

 

Eyewitnesses had alleged that the attackers advanced towards a palm wine joint opposite the council secretariat and opened fire after spotting a man wearing a cap bearing the colours of a political party.

 

The deceased, whose mother reportedly owns the palm wine joint, was said not to have been the intended target.

 

According to the petition, the family, eyewitnesses and other members of the community identified the named suspects as individuals who allegedly participated in the attack.

 

> “Our clients have informed us that following the incident, they, other eyewitnesses and members of the community identified the above-named persons as individuals alleged to have participated in the attack which resulted in the death of the deceased,” the petition stated.

 

 

 

The solicitors said the family had also provided photographs of the suspects and other materials to assist police investigations.

 

They urged the Inspector-General of Police to ensure a comprehensive, impartial and professional investigation and prosecute anyone found culpable.

 

The lawyers described the killing as devastating for the family and the wider Osun community, warning that delays in arresting the suspects could jeopardise evidence and expose witnesses to intimidation.

 

The Osun State Police Command had earlier confirmed that the teenager died after being hit by a bullet during the shooting, while another victim sustained injuries and was taken to hospital.

 

Police also said the alleged leader of the attackers and other suspects remain at large, with efforts ongoing to apprehend them.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago