Politics

Ekiti Polls: INEC Delists Over 2,000 Double Registrants

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has invalidated 2,103 voter registrations identified as cases of double registration ahead of the Ekiti State Governorship Election scheduled for Saturday, June 20, 2026.

 

The commission also expressed satisfaction with its level of preparedness for the election.

 

INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan (SAN), disclosed this during the Commission’s Second Quarterly Consultative Meeting with leaders of political parties held on Tuesday at the INEC headquarters in Abuja.

 

According to him, the voter register for the election now contains 1,059,360 registered voters, following the addition of 66,664 new voters captured during the first and second phases of the Continuous Voter Registration exercise to the 2023 register of 987,647 voters.

 

“In line with our commitment to maintaining the integrity of the Register, 2,103 registrations identified as cases of double registration were invalidated,” Amupitan said.

 

The INEC chairman said he recently led a high-level delegation to Ekiti State to assess the commission’s readiness for the poll and expressed confidence in the preparations made so far.

 

“I am pleased to report that our preparations are progressing satisfactorily,” he said.

 

He noted that logistics, deployment of election technology, training of ad hoc personnel and stakeholder engagements were proceeding according to schedule.

 

Amupitan reaffirmed the commission’s commitment to ensuring that all 2,445 polling units across Ekiti State’s 16 local government areas open simultaneously at 8:30 a.m. on election day.

 

He also commended political parties participating in the election for signing a peace accord ahead of the poll but urged them to ensure that the commitment translates into peaceful conduct throughout the electoral process.

 

“I urge political parties to ensure that its principles are fully internalised and observed by party officials, candidates, agents and supporters throughout the electoral process,” he said.

 

The INEC chairman further reminded stakeholders that the commission would, on the same day, conduct bye-elections in six constituencies across the country.

 

The affected constituencies are Enugu North Senatorial District, Nasarawa North Senatorial District, Rivers South East Senatorial District, Ondo South Senatorial District, Dawakin Kudu/Warawa Federal Constituency in Kano State, and Zuru State Constituency in Kebbi State.

 

He said the same operational standards, security measures and technological safeguards being deployed for the Ekiti governorship election would also apply to the bye-elections.

 

Amupitan also urged political parties participating in the Osun State Governorship Election, scheduled for August 15, 2026, to comply strictly with the commission’s timelines and electoral guidelines.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago