Security

Police arrest INEC officer, question Wike’s aide over alleged voter data leak

The Nigeria Police Force has launched an investigation into the alleged unauthorised access and disclosure of voter information from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) database, leading to the arrest of an INEC official and the questioning of Lere Olayinka, media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike.

 

Police sources said operatives of the Force Intelligence Department–Intelligence Response Team (FID-IRT) are investigating allegations of database misuse, cyber-related offences and the unauthorised release of sensitive electoral records.

 

As part of the probe, an INEC electoral officer, whose identity was not disclosed, has been taken into custody, while Olayinka was interrogated on Tuesday at the Force Headquarters in Abuja.

 

The investigation followed a petition reportedly filed on behalf of INEC, alleging criminal conspiracy, cyber intimidation and the unlawful disclosure of classified electoral documents.

 

The controversy emerged after Olayinka shared screenshots on social media purportedly showing details of a voter registration transfer involving Nollywood actor and politician Emeka Ike from Imo State to the Federal Capital Territory.

 

The publication sparked public debate, with many questioning how the information was obtained and suggesting it could only have originated from INEC’s restricted voter registration database.

 

Responding to the development, INEC denied reports that its Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) database had been hacked, insisting that the incident resulted from the misuse of legitimate internal access credentials by an authorised official.

 

According to findings by investigators, the detained electoral officer allegedly contacted Olayinka through Facebook Messenger before sending voter registration documents to him via WhatsApp.

 

The documents were reportedly intended to show that Emeka Ike’s voter transfer request had been initiated but had not yet received final approval.

 

During questioning, Olayinka reportedly told investigators that he had no prior relationship with the INEC official and was unaware that the documents were classified.

 

Sources said he maintained that the officer did not indicate that the information was confidential or restricted.

 

Meanwhile, the Department of State Services (DSS) has also commenced a separate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the disclosure.

 

Police are reportedly considering possible charges against both the INEC official and Olayinka, including criminal conspiracy, cyber-related offences, unlawful disclosure of classified information and conduct capable of causing a breach of public peace.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago