The attack occurred on Sunday night as the officers were returning from an assignment, according to the Anambra State Police Command.
Eyewitnesses said the assailants, who were reportedly hiding in a nearby bush, opened fire on the officers, causing panic among residents and road users in the area.
A tricycle operator who witnessed the incident said he was travelling from Ezira when he heard gunshots and quickly turned back to avoid the danger.
“The incident happened last night. I was coming from a journey when I suddenly heard gunshots. I left my tricycle and went back for safety.
“After the shooting subsided, I resumed my journey and got to the point where the shooting happened and discovered that two police officers had already been gunned down and were lying lifelessly on the road,” he said.
A video circulating on social media showed the bodies of the slain officers lying beside a police patrol vehicle.
Confirming the incident on Monday, the Commissioner of Police in Anambra State, Ikioye Orutugu, said the officers were attacked while returning from an assignment.
“A team of police officers was returning from an assignment when they were ambushed by armed men who opened fire on them. In the process, we lost two officers,” Orutugu said.
He added that the command had launched an investigation and intensified efforts to apprehend those responsible for the attack.
“The police had been working on the matter since Sunday night and had intensified efforts to track down those responsible for the attack,” he said.
The commissioner said he would visit the scene to assess the situation and review security measures aimed at preventing similar incidents.
He also advised motorists and residents to be vigilant and avoid unauthorised checkpoints not manned by identifiable police personnel or official police vehicles.
“Whenever you approach a checkpoint without police vehicles or clear police identification, you should exercise caution. Either turn back and alert the nearest police formation or immediately contact the police for assistance,” he said.
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…
The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…
The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has questioned the effectiveness…
President Bola Tinubu has joined a request by the United States Department of Justice for…
President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday met with the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial…
Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said he could have helped President…