Categories: Politics

PDP faction to ratify Jonathan as presidential candidate Saturday

A faction of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is set to hold a Special National Convention on Saturday to formally ratify former President Goodluck Jonathan as its presidential candidate for the 2027 general election.

 

The convention is scheduled to take place at the ‘A’ Class Event Centre, Kassim Ibrahim Way, Wuse 2, Abuja, beginning at 10 a.m.

 

The invitation to the event was signed by the faction’s National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, and National Organising Secretary, Theophilus Dakas Shan.

 

According to the invitation, the gathering is for the “Ratification of the Nomination of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan GCFR as the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party.”

 

The planned ratification follows a series of moves by the Kabiru Turaki-led faction of the PDP to position Jonathan as its flag bearer ahead of the 2027 election.

 

On May 19, the faction’s screening committee granted Jonathan a waiver and cleared him as its sole presidential aspirant.

 

Chairman of the screening committee and former Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, said the waiver was granted based on Jonathan’s extensive political experience as deputy governor, governor, vice president and president.

 

The faction also conducted its presidential primary on Wednesday, May 28, ahead of Saturday’s convention.

 

Meanwhile, the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday ruled that Jonathan is eligible to contest the 2027 presidential election.

 

Justice Peter Lifu held that the plaintiff seeking to stop Jonathan from contesting lacked the legal standing to institute the suit, noting that previous judgments by courts in Yenagoa and the Court of Appeal had already affirmed Jonathan’s eligibility.

 

The PDP faction welcomed the judgment, describing the suit as vexatious and an abuse of court process.

 

Jonathan, however, has yet to publicly accept the nomination or confirm his intention to contest.

 

When youth groups visited him at his Abuja office earlier this month to urge him to enter the race, Jonathan said the presidential contest was not a computer game and that he would consult widely before taking any decision.

 

“Presidential race is not a computer game. But I’ve heard you and I’ll consult widely,” he said.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

4 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

4 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago