Insecurity

Oyo denies reports of release of abducted teachers, students

The Oyo State Government has dismissed viral reports claiming that teachers and students abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area have regained freedom.

 

Special Adviser on Security to Governor Seyi Makinde, Abayomi Fagbenro, described the reports circulating on social media as false.

 

The attack, which occurred in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota area of Ogbomoso, led to the killing of at least two persons and the abduction of about 30 teachers and students.

 

Since Wednesday night, social media platforms have been flooded with conflicting claims about the victims’ alleged release, with some posts announcing their freedom while others questioned the authenticity of the reports.

 

Reacting to the development on Thursday, Fagbenro said no release had been recorded as of Thursday morning.

 

“As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” he said.

 

The Oyo State Police Command also said it had not confirmed the release of the abducted victims.

 

Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said security agencies were intensifying efforts to rescue those still in captivity.

 

Following the attack, Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue operations.

 

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, had earlier called for a “careful, clinical and timely” operation to secure the release of the victims.

 

The Defence Headquarters also disclosed that troops had established contact with the abductors and were working towards rescuing those kidnapped.

 

Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier revealed that seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

 

The affected schools include Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and LEA Primary School, Esiele, all located in Oriire Local Government Area.

 

The governor also confirmed that one person was killed during the attack.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

First Ebola case confirmed in DR Congo’s M23-controlled province

Health authorities have confirmed the first Ebola case in South Kivu province in eastern Democratic…

4 hours ago

India postpones Africa summit over Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

India and the African Union have postponed a summit scheduled to hold next week in…

4 hours ago

Police rescue abducted Ekiti LG vice-chairman

The Ekiti State Police Command has confirmed the rescue of the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje…

4 hours ago

Police officer who threatened Nigerians over filming apologises

Police officer Newton Isokpehi has apologised to Nigerians after a viral video showed him threatening…

4 hours ago

2027: Katsina APC affirms Radda as consensus governorship candidate

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Katsina State has affirmed Governor Dikko Radda as its…

4 hours ago

Makinde signs executive order regulating security groups in Oyo

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has signed Executive Order 001 of 2026 regulating associations, groups…

4 hours ago