Metro

FG suspends planned closure of Eko Bridge

The Federal Government has suspended the planned closure of Eko Bridge in Lagos State earlier scheduled over safety concerns.

 

Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, announced the decision on Monday during an inspection of the bridge.

 

Umahi said President Bola Tinubu directed a review of the earlier decision to prevent unnecessary hardship for road users.

 

“We directed that this bridge be closed about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge,” Umahi said.

 

“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”

 

The minister said engineers conducted a fresh technical assessment of the bridge and concluded that immediate closure was not necessary.

 

“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the President’s directive. Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe,” he said.

 

According to Umahi, the government will closely monitor an identified crack on the bridge to determine whether it worsens over time.

 

“The first procedure is not to close the bridge now but to monitor the progression or otherwise of the crack,” he said.

 

“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but a crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it.”

 

He added that remedial works would begin to strengthen the structure.

 

“We have agreed on remedial work that could be carried out within four months by Buildwell by doing additional piling and a pile cap and joining it to the cracked one to bypass the section that is cracked,” Umahi said.

 

He explained that long-term repair plans would include lifting the affected slab and replacing damaged sections after engineering designs are completed.

 

The minister also commended President Tinubu for prioritising infrastructure safety while considering the welfare of Nigerians.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Akinrun Stool Still Vacant, Osun Govt Warns Against Illegal Claims

The Osun State Government has declared that the Akinrun Chieftaincy Stool in Ikirun remains vacant,…

8 hours ago

NILDS DG Abubakar Suleiman withdraws from Kwara APC governorship race

The Director-General of the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies (NILDS), Abubakar Suleiman, has…

8 hours ago

Court fixes June 5 for judgment in suit seeking deregistration of ADC, Accord, others

The Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed June 5, 2026, for judgment in a…

8 hours ago

CBN retains Monetary Policy Rate at 26.5%

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has voted to…

8 hours ago

Desmond Elliot withdraws from Lagos Assembly APC primary race

The lawmaker representing Surulere I Constituency in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot,…

9 hours ago

Oyo warns residents against spreading false security information

The Oyo State Government has warned residents against spreading unverified security information, saying misinformation could…

9 hours ago