The party, however, extended by one week the deadline for the collection of Expression of Interest Forms for governorship, Senate, House of Representatives and State Houses of Assembly positions.
In a statement, the National Secretary of the party, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, said the deadline earlier fixed for May 17 had been extended to midnight of May 24, 2026.
He explained that the extension applied only to aspirants seeking tickets into the State Houses of Assembly, House of Representatives, Senate and governorship positions.
The statement added that the collection of Expression of Interest Forms for the office of the President had officially closed.
Sources within the party disclosed that Obi, a former governor of Anambra State, was the only aspirant who purchased the presidential forms before the deadline.
According to the timetable released by the party, screening of aspirants who purchased and completed the forms will begin on May 19 and end on May 26.
The NDC also said collection and return of nomination forms for screened and cleared aspirants would commence on May 20 and end on May 26.
The party warned that no further extension would be granted and urged aspirants to comply strictly with the guidelines and timetable.
It directed aspirants to appear for screening and pre-qualification interviews with relevant documents, including educational certificates, birth certificate or declaration of age, passport photographs, voter’s card, NDC membership card and curriculum vitae.
The party stated that all submitted documents must be provided in six copies.
According to the statement, screening would be based on the wishes of the electorate, local peculiarities, competence, capacity and character of aspirants.
The party also said the Screening Committee would consider its affirmative action policy for women, youths and persons living with disabilities.
With the development, Obi is expected to emerge as the consensus presidential candidate of the NDC ahead of the 2027 general election.
Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.), has urged Nigeria’s political class to end…
Iran’s military has warned the United States against launching further attacks, saying Tehran would respond…
The lawmaker representing Surulere I Constituency in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliot,…
Former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has declared that he did not purchase the African…
The Federal Government has called on Nigerian entrepreneurs, innovators and startup enterprises to apply for…
The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday concluded its senatorial primary elections across the three…