Security

Tinubu confirms killing of ISIS leader in Nigeria–US joint operation

President Bola Tinubu has confirmed the killing of a senior Islamic State leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, during a joint military operation carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in the Lake Chad Basin.

 

In a statement personally signed on Saturday, Tinubu described the operation as “a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism.”

 

According to the President, Nigerian troops working alongside the US Armed Forces conducted a coordinated strike that targeted a compound belonging to the insurgent leader.

 

“Early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin,” Tinubu said.

 

He commended the personnel involved in the operation, describing their efforts as professional and courageous, while reaffirming Nigeria’s commitment to strengthening international security partnerships.

 

“Nigeria appreciates this partnership with the United States in advancing our shared security objectives. I extend my sincere gratitude to President Trump for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort,” the statement added.

 

Tinubu also said he looked forward to further coordinated actions against terrorist groups operating in the region.

 

“I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation,” he said.

 

The announcement follows a statement by US President Donald Trump, who earlier confirmed the operation and described Al-Manuki as a top ISIS figure operating in Africa.

 

Trump said the mission was “flawlessly executed” by American and Nigerian forces and resulted in the elimination of “the most active terrorist in the world.”

 

He added that the militant leader, described as ISIS’ second-in-command globally, had been under US sanctions since 2023 and was targeted based on intelligence tracking his activities in Africa.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Kwara APC Governorship Race Deepens as 16 Aspirants Boycott Consensus Meeting, Party Faces Fresh Internal Tension

The governorship contest of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara State has taken a…

11 hours ago

DHQ Clarifies Operation Against Al-Minuki, Says No Foreign Troops Involved

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has clarified that no foreign soldiers took part in the ground…

11 hours ago

APC Reconciliation Deal Collapses Ahead of Osun Guber Poll

A power-sharing arrangement initiated by the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun…

11 hours ago

Atiku Blasts FG Over Response to South Africa Xenophobia Crisis

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the Federal Government over what he described as…

14 hours ago

Bauchi Permanent Secretary Dies in Saudi Arabia During 2026 Hajj

The Permanent Secretary for Special Services in the Office of the Secretary to the Bauchi…

14 hours ago

I don’t want a woman to be cause of my death — Frank Edoho

Popular television host Frank Edoho has said his greatest fear is dying as a result…

14 hours ago