Security

Makinde blames intelligence gap for Oyo school abduction

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has said the abduction of students and a school principal in Oriire Local Government Area exposed serious gaps in intelligence gathering and information-sharing within communities.

 

Makinde stated this on Saturday in Ibadan during the inauguration of the Nigeria Police Force’s Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU) and the commissioning of its headquarters, a day after the school attack.

 

“From what we know so far about yesterday’s incident in Orire Local Government, there is still a big gap in giving timely information to security agencies. When you see strange movements or suspicious behaviour, please report it,” the governor said.

 

He explained that preliminary findings suggested suspicious activities in the area were not promptly reported to security agencies, thereby weakening efforts to prevent the attack.

 

The governor stressed the need for stronger cooperation between residents and security agencies, noting that government alone could not guarantee security without public support.

 

Makinde described the newly inaugurated VCRU as a strategic response to increasing cases of kidnapping and violent crimes in the state, particularly following recent security concerns.

 

According to him, the unit is the first of its kind in the South-West and demonstrates the state government’s commitment to strengthening security architecture across Oyo State.

 

The governor said the abduction had caused pain to affected families and communities.

 

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families that have lost their loved ones. May the souls of the departed rest in peace,” he said.

 

Makinde warned against complacency on security issues, linking safety to economic growth and social stability.

 

He added that his administration had continued to invest in logistics, surveillance systems, mobility, intelligence-sharing and inter-agency collaboration to improve security operations.

 

Describing the VCRU as a professional and rapid-response initiative against violent crimes, the governor commended officers of the unit after observing their operational demonstration.

 

“I watched the demonstration by the unit and I want to say that you are truly prepared,” he stated.

 

Makinde also pledged continued support for security agencies and commended the Inspector-General of Police and the Oyo State Police Command for establishing the unit.

 

“The initiative is federal, but the impact is local,” he added.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

1 day ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

1 day ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

1 day ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

1 day ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

1 day ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

1 day ago