Politics

2027: Jonathan asks court to dismiss suit challenging eligibility

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has opposed a suit seeking to stop him from contesting the 2027 presidential election.

 

Jonathan’s counsel, Chris Uche (SAN), told Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday that the former president had already filed the necessary processes challenging the suit.

 

Uche said Jonathan’s legal team filed a conditional appearance, preliminary objection, counter-affidavit and written address on May 5, urging the court to strike out the case.

 

According to him, the defence acted promptly after learning about the suit through media reports.

 

He argued that the issue of Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again had already been settled by the courts, including the Court of Appeal.

 

Counsel to the plaintiff, Ndubuisi Ukpai, however, told the court that he had just received Jonathan’s response and needed time to study the documents and file a reply.

 

Justice Lifu subsequently adjourned the matter until May 11 for hearing on both the preliminary objection and the substantive suit.

 

The judge also directed that hearing notices be served on the Independent National Electoral Commission and the Attorney-General of the Federation, who were absent in court.

 

The suit was filed by lawyer Johnmary Jideobi, who is seeking an order restraining Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election.

 

The plaintiff also asked the court to stop INEC from recognising or publishing Jonathan’s name as a validly nominated candidate.

 

Filed on October 6, 2025, the suit lists Jonathan as the first defendant, while INEC and the Attorney-General of the Federation are joined as co-defendants.

 

The case centres on whether Jonathan, having taken the oath of office twice as president, remains eligible to contest another election under Sections 1 and 137(3) of the Nigerian Constitution.

 

The plaintiff argued that by completing the unexpired tenure of former President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in 2010 and later serving a full elected term after winning the 2011 election, Jonathan had exhausted the constitutional limit of two terms in office.

 

According to an affidavit filed in support of the suit, recent media reports suggested Jonathan may be considering a return to the presidential race in 2027.

 

“That if the court does not intervene timeously, a political party may present the 1st defendant as its presidential candidate in the 2027 general election, thereby breaching the Constitution,” the affidavit stated.

 

The plaintiff further argued that Jonathan could eventually contest and even win the election if the court failed to intervene, which could trigger constitutional disputes over presidential tenure limits and eligibility.

 

He urged the court to grant all the reliefs sought in order to protect the supremacy of the Constitution and preserve Nigeria’s constitutional democracy.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago