Politics

ADC crisis: Mark seeks court order to reverse INEC decision

The leadership of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) led by former Senate President, David Mark, has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking to overturn the decision of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) removing its officials from the commission’s records.

 

INEC had, on April 1, deleted the names of Mark as National Chairman and Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary from its official portal amid the party’s leadership dispute.

 

In a motion filed before Justice Emeka Nwite by his counsel, Sulaiman Usman (SAN), Mark is asking the court to issue a mandatory injunction restoring the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) to INEC’s records pending the determination of the suit.

 

He also urged the court to compel INEC to recognise and monitor the party’s congresses and conventions, which the commission had declined to do.

 

The motion seeks an order restraining INEC from recognising any rival leadership or interfering with the existing structure until the matter is resolved.

 

Arguing the application, Usman said INEC misinterpreted the March 12 Court of Appeal ruling, which directed parties to maintain the status quo ante bellum—the last uncontested leadership structure before the dispute.

 

“As of the time the suit was instituted, Senator David Mark was the recognised national chairman,” he argued, adding that INEC’s action created a vacuum and uncertainty within the party.

 

The lawyer further urged the court to grant an accelerated hearing of the case, noting that the dispute has far-reaching implications for the party’s operations and Nigeria’s democratic process.

 

“The present uncertainty is affecting internal administration and political participation, while encouraging parallel structures,” he said.

 

The suit stems from a leadership tussle involving a faction led by Nafiu Bala Gombe, who had earlier challenged the legitimacy of the Mark-led leadership.

 

The Court of Appeal had directed parties to return to the trial court and maintain the existing structure pending resolution of the case.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago