Politics

US firm to engage Congress, Trump administration over INEC action on ADC

 

A United States-based policy firm, Von Batten-Montague York L.C., has announced plans to engage members of Congress and the Trump administration over the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) decision to withdraw recognition of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) leadership.

INEC had earlier suspended official engagement with the party pending the outcome of ongoing litigation, a move that has raised concerns about its implications for Nigeria’s electoral process ahead of the next presidential election.

In a statement, the firm warned that the decision could hinder the opposition’s ability to organise effectively, describing the development as a potential threat to democratic participation and electoral credibility.

“The situation could hinder the opposition’s ability to organise and participate fully in the democratic process,” the firm said, adding that any action capable of undermining confidence in electoral institutions must be addressed with urgency and transparency.

It noted that Nigeria’s status as Africa’s largest democracy and a key strategic partner of the United States makes the integrity of its electoral process a matter of international concern.

The firm said it would present its concerns to U.S. lawmakers and the Trump administration to ensure that the issue remains on the global agenda.

It also called on President Bola Tinubu to guarantee that forthcoming elections are free, fair, and reflective of the will of the people.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago