World News

Trump criticises ex-counterterrorism chief over resignation on Iran war

US President Donald Trump has criticised the former Director of the National Counterterrorism Centre, Joseph Kent, following his resignation over America’s involvement in the ongoing conflict with Iran.

 

Kent stepped down in protest, citing opposition to the war, which has escalated tensions across the Middle East.

 

Reacting in an interview aired on Fox News, Trump said the resignation was appropriate, questioning Kent’s stance on national security.

 

“I always thought he was weak on security… When I read his statement, I realised that it’s a good thing he’s out because he said Iran was not a threat,” Trump said.

 

Kent, in a statement on Tuesday, said his decision followed deep personal reflection, adding that he could no longer support the US military campaign.

 

“I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran,” he said.

 

He argued that Iran did not pose an immediate threat to the United States, claiming the conflict was influenced by external pressures rather than clear national security priorities.

 

“Iran posed no imminent threat to our nation, and it is clear that we started this war due to pressure from Israel and its powerful American lobby,” Kent added.

 

The resignation comes amid escalating hostilities that began on February 28, when Israel launched missile strikes on Iran, with the United States later confirming joint involvement.

 

Since then, the conflict has seen ongoing strikes and counterstrikes between Iranian, US and Israeli forces, raising fears of a prolonged regional war.

 

Kent’s exit marks one of the first high-level public dissenting voices within the US national security establishment over the conflict.

 

Meanwhile, Democratic lawmakers have intensified calls for Congressional intervention, urging the legislature to exercise its constitutional powers to potentially halt US military involvement in the Middle East.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago