The resignation follows Israel’s February 28 pre-emptive missile strikes on Iran, which the US later confirmed were carried out in coordination with American forces. Since then, Tehran has engaged in a series of counterstrikes against US-Israel operations.
In his resignation statement on Tuesday, Kent said:
“I cannot, in good conscience, support the ongoing war in Iran. Iran posed no imminent threat to the United States. This war appears to be driven by external pressure from Israel and its influential American lobby.”
Kent, a veteran of 11 overseas deployments, recalled losing his wife in a previous conflict he described as “manufactured by Israel.” He warned against sending more American troops to fight in what he termed a war that offers no tangible benefit to the US or its citizens.
The NCTC, which coordinates and analyzes terrorism-related intelligence across federal agencies, now faces the loss of its top leadership amid mounting scrutiny over US military engagement in the Middle East.
Kent also criticized what he described as a misinformation campaign orchestrated by Israeli officials and parts of the American media, designed to create a pro-war sentiment in Washington. He drew parallels with the lead-up to the Iraq War, which he said cost thousands of American lives.
The director called on President Donald Trump to reconsider the nation’s approach in Iran, questioning the strategic and ethical justifications of the campaign.
Democratic lawmakers have since raised concerns over the president’s actions and are exploring congressional measures to end US military involvement in the region. Kent is the first senior official in the Trump administration to publicly condemn the US role in the conflict.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…