General News

Iran–UAE conflict: Nigerian among dozens injured as air defences intercept missiles

A Nigerian national is among dozens of people injured in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) following the interception of Iranian ballistic missiles, authorities have confirmed.

 

The UAE Ministry of Defence said the attacks formed part of retaliatory strikes launched by Iran after accusing the Gulf nation of allowing the United States to use its military bases to conduct operations against Tehran.

 

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the ministry disclosed that its air defence systems have detected 262 ballistic missiles launched from Iran since the conflict began on February 28.

 

According to the ministry, 241 of the missiles were intercepted and destroyed, while 19 fell into the sea and two landed within UAE territory.

 

“Since the onset of the blatant Iranian attacks, 262 ballistic missiles have been detected. Of these, 241 were destroyed, 19 fell into the sea, and two struck within the state territory,” the statement said.

 

The ministry also revealed that 1,475 Iranian unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) had been detected during the same period.

 

Of that number, 1,385 were intercepted, while 90 fell within the country’s territory. Authorities added that eight cruise missiles were also detected and destroyed.

 

According to the ministry, the attacks have so far resulted in six deaths involving nationals of the UAE, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh, while 122 others sustained moderate to minor injuries.

 

Those injured include nationals of the UAE, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Philippines, Pakistan, Iran, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Azerbaijan, Yemen, Uganda, Eritrea, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Bahrain, the Comoros, Türkiye, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Oman, Jordan and Palestine.

 

However, officials did not specify how many individuals from each nationality were affected.

 

Meanwhile, the UAE said on Wednesday that its air defence systems were again responding to fresh missile and drone threats launched from Iran.

 

“UAE air defences are currently responding to incoming missile and drone threats from Iran,” the ministry said in a post on X.

 

Authorities added that explosions heard in parts of the country were caused by the interception of the incoming missiles and drones by air defence systems.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago