Trump made the remark while speaking to lawmakers on Monday, saying the conflict may be nearing its end, although he declined to give a specific timeline.
“It’s going to be ended soon, and if it starts up again they’ll be hit even harder,” he said.
When asked to clarify whether “soon” meant within a week, Trump responded that it would not be that immediate but maintained that the end of the conflict was approaching.
He also warned that the United States would respond forcefully if Iran attempted to disrupt oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil transit route.
“If Iran stops the flow of oil through the Strait of Hormuz, they will be hit by the United States twenty times harder than they have been hit so far,” Trump warned.
Following the remarks, global oil prices, which had earlier surged to about $120 per barrel — their highest level since 2022 — dropped to around $90 on Tuesday, marking the first decline since the outbreak of the Middle East conflict.
However, Iran swiftly rejected Trump’s assertion.
A spokesperson for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) declared that Tehran — not Washington — would decide when the war ends.
“Iran will determine when the war ends,” the spokesperson said, adding that the country would block oil exports from the region if attacks by the United States and Israel continued.
The spokesperson warned that Tehran would not allow “even one litre of oil” to leave the region under such circumstances.
Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, said negotiations with the United States were no longer under consideration following what he described as a betrayal during previous diplomatic engagements.
Speaking during an interview with PBS News, Araghchi said Iran had previously been assured that Washington sought a peaceful resolution to the nuclear dispute.
“They promised us they had no intention of attacking Iran and wanted to resolve the nuclear issue through negotiations,” he said. “Yet they eventually launched attacks.”
The minister stressed that Iran would continue to defend itself against any external aggression.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…