Insecurity

Fear, Confusion as Police Hunt Amotekun Operatives Over Alleged Extra Judicial Killing

Fear, Confusion as Police Hunt Amotekun Operatives Over Alleged Extra-Judicial Killings

 

 

Tension and confusion gripped Osun State on Wednesday as operatives of the Nigeria Police Force from Abuja stormed the headquarters of the Osun Amotekun Corps in Osogbo and arrested several personnel over alleged extra-judicial killings in Akinlalu community, Ife North Local Government Area.

 

The policemen, said to be from the Force Intelligence Department, reportedly carried out simultaneous raids on the corps’ operational bases in Osogbo and Ile-Ife, arresting about 20 Amotekun operatives.

 

The operation followed the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Kayode Egbetokun, who ordered the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) to take over investigations into the Akinlalu killings that left four people dead and several others injured.

 

Witnesses in the Akinlalu community had accused some Amotekun operatives of opening fire during a routine patrol last week, leading to the deaths and sparking outrage across the state.

 

Confirming the development, the Public Relations Officer of the Osun State Police Command, SP Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary findings linked some Amotekun personnel to the incident.

 

Ojelabi disclosed that five people had so far been arrested and that victims and witnesses were able to identify those involved.

 

He said, “The Commander and the Spokesperson of the Osun Amotekun Corps have been invited to clarify their roles in the incident but have refused to honour police invitations. All efforts to reach them have failed as their mobile lines remain switched off.”

 

The police PRO further dismissed the commander’s claim that he was attacked by masked gunmen, describing it as “a figment of his imagination designed to divert attention from the ongoing investigation.”

 

Security sources hinted that more arrests might follow as the IRT intensifies its probe into the killings.

 

Meanwhile, residents of Akinlalu have continued to lament the loss of their loved ones, calling on the state government and the police to ensure justice is served.

 

One of the residents, who pleaded anonymity, told Patriotic Insights News that the community had been living in fear since the incident.

 

“We no longer sleep well. People are afraid because we don’t know what will happen next. We just want justice,” he said.

 

As of press time, the Osun Amotekun Commander and the Spokesperson could not be reached for comments.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago