Travel

Trump slams $100,000 levy on Skilled worker visas

 

 

 

 

 

Trump slams $100,000 levy on skilled worker visas

 

United States President Donald Trump has introduced a new executive order imposing a hefty $100,000 annual fee on companies seeking H-1B visas for skilled foreign workers.

 

The policy, which takes effect tomorrow, September 21, is expected to send shockwaves through America’s technology and innovation sectors.

 

Announcing the measure, US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said:

“Companies must now weigh the value of each foreign worker. Is the individual worth a $100,000 annual fee to the government, or should they hire an American?”

 

The H-1B programme, capped at 85,000 visas yearly, has long served as a key route for tech firms and startups to recruit highly skilled workers from abroad. Previously, visa processing fees stood at about $1,500.

 

Critics warn the drastic hike could cripple smaller firms unable to afford the cost. “This $100,000 entry point will be devastating,” said Seattle-based immigration lawyer, Tahmina Watson. “Many companies simply won’t survive this.”

 

Alongside the levy, the executive order also introduces a new “gold card” system, allowing wealthy investors to fast-track immigration with payments starting at £1 million.

 

The visa clampdown is the latest in a series of restrictive measures under Trump. In June, Washington rolled out a travel ban affecting 12 countries, while last month it piloted a programme requiring bonds of up to $15,000 for certain visitor visas.

 

Observers say the new policy underscores Trump’s long-standing pledge to prioritise American jobs but warn it may undermine US competitiveness in the global economy.

 

 

 

 

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago