Politics

DR Congo opposition plans protests over Tshisekedi’s alleged third-term bid

Opposition parties in the Democratic Republic of Congo have called for nationwide demonstrations on Wednesday to demand the resignation of President Félix Tshisekedi, accusing him of seeking to extend his stay in office through constitutional amendments.

 

Political tensions have intensified more than two years ahead of the country’s next general election, with critics alleging that Tshisekedi is laying the groundwork for a third presidential term.

 

Under the current constitution, Tshisekedi, who assumed office in 2019, is serving his second and final five-year term, which expires in 2028.

 

However, during a press conference in May, the president fuelled speculation about a possible third-term bid.

 

“If the people want me to have a third term, I will accept,” Tshisekedi said.

 

The controversy centres on a bill passed by Parliament last month establishing the framework for a referendum on constitutional amendments. The presidential coalition holds a commanding majority in the legislature.

 

In an Independence Day address on Tuesday, Tshisekedi announced that he had referred the bill to the Constitutional Court for a review of its constitutionality before deciding whether to sign it into law.

 

The move has further mobilised opposition parties, which recently formed the C64 coalition, named after Article 64 of the constitution that allows citizens to resist any unconstitutional seizure of power.

 

Leading opposition figures, including Moïse Katumbi, Delly Sesanga and Martin Fayulu, have accused the government of attempting what they describe as a “constitutional coup.”

 

Earlier protests against the proposed constitutional changes turned violent, with clashes involving security forces, pro-government supporters and opposition demonstrators. The United Nations said at least one protester was killed during a June 12 rally in Kinshasa.

 

The influential Catholic Church has also urged Tshisekedi to respect the constitution and called on citizens to oppose any attempt to amend it through peaceful and lawful means.

 

Meanwhile, the government has banned large public gatherings in four provinces, including Kinshasa, citing an ongoing Ebola outbreak, although it remains unclear whether the planned opposition protests will be affected by the restriction.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

4 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

4 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

5 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago