Categories: Politics

NDC files appeal against court judgment, to serve INEC

The Nigerian Democratic Congress says it has filed a notice of appeal against the Federal High Court judgment that set aside its registration, insisting it remains a legally recognised political party.

 

The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Osa Director, confirmed on Monday that its legal team successfully filed the appeal at the Court of Appeal in Lokoja, Kogi State, and would soon serve the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) with the court documents.

 

Director dismissed reports that the party had been deregistered, stating that the NDC remains listed as a registered political party on INEC’s portal.

 

He also argued that the court case challenged the party’s logo rather than its existence as a political party, adding that media reports had misrepresented the judgment.

 

The appeal follows emergency meetings involving the party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi; his running mate, Rabiu Kwankwaso; National Leader, Seriake Dickson; members of the National Working Committee; and other stakeholders to fine-tune the party’s legal strategy.

 

The move comes after the Federal High Court in Lokoja set aside its earlier judgment directing INEC to register the NDC. The party insists the ruling does not amount to deregistration and says it will continue to pursue its case at the Court of Appeal.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago