In a statement on Sunday, Public Health France said approximately 1,000 additional deaths had been recorded since June 24 compared to expected mortality levels.
The agency noted that the hardest-hit areas were those placed under the highest, red-level heat alert, with 85 per cent of the deaths involving people aged 65 and above.
It added that the most significant increase in fatalities occurred among people who died at home, particularly in the Île-de-France region, which includes Paris and its surrounding suburbs.
“This observation serves as a reminder of the need for measures of solidarity toward people who are isolated or experiencing profound loneliness, including in highly urbanised areas,” the agency said.
Public Health France stressed that the figures remain preliminary and could rise as more data become available.
The intense heatwave, which pushed temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius in several parts of the country, began easing on Sunday after days of extreme weather across France and much of western Europe.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…