World News

Earthquake: Venezuela’s Rodriguez Confirms Phone Call With US Secretary Rubio

Venezuela’s interim president, Delcy Rodriguez, has confirmed speaking with United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio following the twin earthquakes that struck the country and left at least 32 people dead.

 

Rodriguez disclosed the conversation in a post on X on Thursday, saying Rubio conveyed the US government’s solidarity and support for Venezuela during the crisis.

 

“I spoke by phone with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who expressed his solidarity and support for the Venezuelan people during these difficult times for our nation,” Rodriguez wrote.

 

“We appreciate this expression of solidarity with Venezuela during such a challenging period, marked by the impact of the natural disaster that has affected several regions of the country.”

 

The twin earthquakes, measuring 7.2 and 7.5 in magnitude, struck the same area of Venezuela on Wednesday, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

 

The powerful tremors caused widespread destruction, collapsing buildings in the capital, Caracas, and forcing the closure of the country’s main airport.

 

Providing an update on the disaster, Rodriguez said at least 32 people had been confirmed dead, while more than 700 others sustained injuries.

 

“We have received reports of 32 deaths and more than 700 injured,” she said, adding that authorities were still assessing the full impact in La Guaira, one of the worst-affected regions near the capital.

 

Emergency workers and residents continued search-and-rescue operations on Thursday, combing through debris in search of survivors.

 

“The stairs came away, the whole wall cracked. Things fell from the ceiling. It was horrible,” a bank employee, Odalis Escalona, 54, told AFP.

 

In response to the disaster, Rubio announced that the United States would immediately deploy search-and-rescue teams, medical personnel and humanitarian assistance to support relief efforts in Venezuela.

 

US President Donald Trump also expressed sympathy, describing the earthquakes as “massive in scale” and lamenting the loss of lives caused by the disaster.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago