Categories: Politics

World Cup 2026: Partey Denied Entry Into Canada, Set to Miss Ghana’s Opener

Ghana have been dealt a major blow ahead of their opening match at the 2026 FIFA World Cup after midfielder Thomas Partey was denied entry into Canada and will miss the Black Stars’ clash against Panama.

 

According to BBC Sport, FIFA confirmed on Friday that the former Arsenal midfielder, who currently plays for Spanish side Villarreal, was unable to travel from Ghana’s training base in Boston after Canadian authorities rejected his visa application.

 

The development makes Partey one of the latest football figures affected by immigration-related issues at the tournament.

 

In a statement quoted by the BBC, FIFA said visa and immigration decisions rest solely with the host nations.

 

“FIFA is not involved in the immigration processes of host countries, including the adjudication of visas,” the governing body said.

 

“The host government ultimately determines who receives a visa and is admitted into the country.”

 

Partey, 32, was expected to play a central role in Ghana’s World Cup campaign and his absence is considered a significant setback for coach Otto Addo as the four-time African champions prepare to face Panama in Toronto.

 

Canadian authorities have not publicly disclosed the reason for the visa refusal.

 

The decision comes amid ongoing legal proceedings involving the player. Partey has pleaded not guilty to seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault relating to allegations made by four women between 2020 and 2022. His trial is scheduled to begin next year.

 

The incident is expected to fuel further debate over immigration policies at the expanded 48-team World Cup, which is being jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

 

The tournament has already faced several off-field controversies. Earlier this week, Somali referee Omar Artan was reportedly denied entry into the United States despite being selected by FIFA to officiate at the competition, while Iran’s football federation raised concerns over the withdrawal of supporters’ ticket allocations for group-stage matches.

 

With Partey unavailable, Ghana will now begin their World Cup campaign without one of their most experienced players as they seek to advance beyond the group stage.

 

The Black Stars are making their fifth World Cup appearance and will be hoping to overcome the setback and make a strong start to the tournament.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

4 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

4 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

4 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

4 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

8 hours ago