Categories: Politics

Edo Reopens Schools Shut Over Kidnap Threats, Cites Improved Security

The Edo State Government has approved the reopening of schools in Akoko-Edo Local Government Area that were earlier shut down over security concerns linked to intelligence reports of planned attacks.

 

The decision was contained in a circular issued by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Mr. Enodolomwanyi Otamere, and obtained by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Benin on Friday.

 

Otamere said the move followed a comprehensive review of the security situation by relevant security agencies and stakeholders, adding that the government was satisfied with the enhanced safety measures now in place.

 

“Following the implementation of enhanced security measures and the deployment of additional safety mechanisms across the affected communities and schools, the government is satisfied that necessary arrangements have been put in place to ensure the safety and wellbeing of learners, teachers, and other school personnel,” he said.

 

According to the circular, all public and private schools earlier affected by the closure order are to resume academic activities with effect from Monday, June 15, 2026.

 

The Permanent Secretary directed school heads, proprietors, and education authorities to ensure proper arrangements for the safe return of students and staff, while maintaining collaboration with security agencies and community leaders.

 

He assured parents and guardians that adequate security measures had been deployed across the affected schools and reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting lives and property.

 

“The government remains fully committed to the protection of lives and property and will continue to monitor developments closely while taking all necessary steps to safeguard the education sector,” he stated.

 

The schools were earlier shut following intelligence reports from security agencies warning of a planned attack on schools in parts of Akoko-Edo.

 

The closure was based on credible security alerts, including reports from the Department of State Services (DSS), which reportedly indicated plans by suspected bandits to abduct schoolchildren in parts of Edo North Senatorial District.

 

With the latest directive, normal academic activities are expected to resume in the affected schools as authorities maintain heightened surveillance in the area.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

2 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

2 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

2 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

2 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

2 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

6 hours ago