Politics

Trump directive triggered anti-ISIS strikes in Nigeria — Hegseth

United States Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, has disclosed that President Donald Trump directed the Pentagon to prioritise the protection of Christians in Nigeria targeted by Islamic State-linked groups.

 

Hegseth made the disclosure during a press conference at the White House on Wednesday, saying the directive was issued after Trump became aware of attacks against Christians in Nigeria.

 

According to him, the operation involved coordination between U.S. and Nigerian forces and led to the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as ISIS’s second-in-command, during a joint operation in the Lake Chad Basin.

 

“Maybe a year ago, he heard the call of Nigerian Christians who were being targeted and killed by ISIS in Nigeria, and he said, ‘Pete, I want the War Department to focus on ensuring that we do everything we can to protect those Christians,’” Hegseth said.

 

He said intelligence gathered during the operation contributed to major counterterrorism successes in the region.

 

“And we got the assets there, and over the last month, and there hasn’t been much coverage of this, we killed ISIS number two in Nigeria, who’s most responsible for killing Christians and trying to target the U.S. homeland,” he stated.

 

Hegseth added that the intelligence operation also led to the killing of several ISIS fighters allegedly involved in attacks on Christians in Nigeria and threats against the United States.

 

“Working on the intel gathered, we have killed hundreds of ISIS members who were targeting and killing Christians in Nigeria,” he added.

 

The U.S. defence chief described the mission as part of the Trump administration’s broader counterterrorism efforts and commitment to protecting vulnerable communities.

 

“So there are a lot of things we do that the media pays attention to, and a lot of things that the President empowers the Department to do on behalf of the American people that he deserves great credit for,” Hegseth stated.

 

ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki was reportedly killed earlier this month during a coordinated military operation involving Nigerian and U.S. forces in northeastern Nigeria.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

2027: NBC Warns Broadcasters, Bloggers Against Misinformation, Hate Speech

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…

3 hours ago

Tinubu directs EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…

3 hours ago

Tinubu Appoints Abel Enitan as New Head of Civil Service

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…

3 hours ago

Osun: Suspected Thugs Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…

3 hours ago

Tinubu presides over FEC meeting

President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…

3 hours ago

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

7 hours ago