Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, gave the clarification during a monitored television interview, where he provided updates on the operation.
He explained that while the United States provided intelligence and surveillance support, all kinetic actions on the ground were carried out by Nigerian forces.
“There were no foreign boots on the ground during this operation. What we received were intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance support and other force enablers,” Onoja said.
He described the mission as a precision strike against a high-value target, stressing that it was the product of sustained intelligence gathering and operational coordination.
According to him, the success of the operation reflected the “professionalism, discipline and tactical readiness” of Nigerian troops, adding that no casualties were recorded on the Nigerian side.
Onoja also dismissed earlier reports suggesting that Al-Minuki had been killed in 2024, clarifying that such claims were based on mistaken identity. He said the individual neutralised in the latest operation was the confirmed terrorist commander, who had operated under multiple aliases and remained on international watchlists.
“He has been on the radar of the United Nations, the United States, the European Union and Nigeria for a long time,” he said.
The Defence spokesperson added that the operation was launched only after credible intelligence confirmed the target’s location, following months of surveillance and tracking.
He further noted that Nigeria would continue to deepen strategic cooperation with international partners in the fight against terrorism, while stressing that several other high-profile terrorist and bandit leaders remain under active surveillance.
Among them, he mentioned wanted bandit leader Bello Turji, saying security forces were closing in on him.
“He cannot hide forever. It is only a matter of time,” he added.
Onoja urged Nigerians to support ongoing military operations with timely intelligence, warning that ransom payments to kidnappers and criminal groups often worsen insecurity by strengthening their networks.
He reaffirmed the military’s commitment to restoring peace across affected regions of the country.
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has warned broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers and other participants in…
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…