In a statement issued on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said Nigeria’s response to the crisis appeared delayed compared to other African countries that moved swiftly to protect their citizens.
He argued that countries such as Ghana had already approved evacuation measures for affected nationals, while Nigeria, despite its historical exposure to xenophobic violence in South Africa, only acted after what he described as external pressure.
“It is deeply troubling that Nigeria, a country that prides itself as the leader of the Black world and the giant of Africa, once again found itself reacting instead of leading in a moment of continental crisis,” Atiku said.
He added that while the Federal Government had now begun discussions around repatriation and diplomatic engagement, the delay in response raised concerns about its commitment to the protection of Nigerians abroad.
“Yes, the government has now spoken. Yes, repatriation talks have been mentioned. However, the critical question remains: why did it take external pressure and the decisive action of others for Nigeria to find its voice?” he said.
Atiku recalled that Nigerians in South Africa have repeatedly faced attacks, looting and intimidation over the years, with businesses destroyed and lives put at risk, yet successive Nigerian responses, he said, have remained largely administrative and slow.
“For years, Nigerians in South Africa have endured recurring cycles of intimidation, harassment, looting and xenophobic hostility… yet successive Nigerian responses have followed the same tired script,” he said.
He stressed that the protection of citizens, regardless of location, remains the primary duty of any government, urging stronger and more proactive intervention from the Federal Government.
Atiku called on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to issue a stronger travel advisory, activate evacuation plans for willing citizens, and deepen diplomatic engagement with South African authorities.
He also urged the African Union to take a more decisive stance against recurring xenophobic violence across the continent, warning that Africa cannot preach unity while tolerating repeated attacks on fellow Africans.
“Africa cannot continue to preach unity while tolerating periodic persecution of fellow Africans,” he said.
The former Vice President further described Nigeria’s diplomatic response as lacking urgency, urging authorities to act faster whenever the safety and dignity of citizens abroad are threatened.
The governorship contest of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara State has taken a…
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has clarified that no foreign soldiers took part in the ground…
A power-sharing arrangement initiated by the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun…
The Permanent Secretary for Special Services in the Office of the Secretary to the Bauchi…
Popular television host Frank Edoho has said his greatest fear is dying as a result…
The Labour Party (LP) has reacted to viral images showing its suspended National Chairman, Julius…