The unions had embarked on an indefinite strike on April 30, after the expiration of a 30-day ultimatum issued to the government over unresolved demands, including the renegotiation of the 2009 agreement.
The decision to suspend the strike was reached after a meeting on Tuesday with the Federal Government Expanded Renegotiation Committee, led by Alhaji Yayale Ahmed.
In a circular titled “Update on Strike Action,” signed by JAC Chairman and SSANU President, Mohammed Ibrahim, and NASU General Secretary, Peters Adeyemi, the unions said the suspension would take effect from Monday, May 11, 2026.
“After exhaustive deliberations, the committee noted the need to obtain the approval of the President… for any further review of the government’s earlier offer,” the circular stated.
The unions said they agreed to pause the industrial action following assurances that renegotiation talks, including a revised salary structure, would be concluded within two weeks.
They also confirmed that the Federal Government had withdrawn its earlier offer of a 30 per cent salary increase, which had been rejected for not reflecting a collective bargaining outcome.
JAC urged branch leaders nationwide to convene congresses to brief members and ensure compliance with the suspension directive.
The unions, however, warned that failure by the government to conclude negotiations within the agreed timeframe could trigger a resumption of the strike.
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes…
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Abel Enitan as the new Head of the Civil Service…
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after…
President Bola Tinubu is presiding over a meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the…
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…
The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…