Education

Wike moves to end FCT teachers’ strike, orders direct payment of allowances

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has stepped into the ongoing teachers’ strike in Abuja, ordering the direct payment of salaries and allowances to affected workers in a bid to resolve the crisis.

 

Wike disclosed this after a meeting with leaders of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), expressing concern over the handling of the dispute and warning that prolonged industrial action would have serious consequences for schoolchildren.

 

He criticised procedural lapses in previous engagements, noting that key stakeholders, particularly council chairmen, were excluded from crucial discussions.

 

“It would not be proper to hold such a crucial meeting without those directly affected,” the minister said.

 

Wike revealed that he had chaired multiple meetings on the issue and set up a committee to address unpaid entitlements. In a decisive move, he said the FCT Administration had intercepted Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) allocations meant for area councils to settle outstanding payments directly.

 

“I was surprised to learn that despite our agreement, there are plans to go on strike. Such action undermines ongoing efforts to resolve the crisis,” he said.

 

He acknowledged that the responsibility for paying primary school teachers rests with area councils but explained that the FCT Administration intervened to prevent disruption in the education system.

 

“Education is vital, and continuous strikes will only negatively affect our children,” Wike added.

 

Earlier, Chairman of the NUT FCT Wing, Abdullahi Shafa, described the meeting as “very fruitful” and commended the administration’s efforts in improving school infrastructure and addressing welfare concerns.

 

However, Shafa noted that key issues, including unpaid entitlements, delayed promotions, and unfilled vacancies, remain unresolved. He warned that stagnation in career progression could affect productivity in schools.

 

He said the minister had assured the union of immediate action, admitting he was previously not fully briefed on the extent of the challenges.

 

Shafa clarified that the ongoing strike has not been suspended, adding that the union would meet to review the outcome of the engagement before taking a final decision.

 

The NUT had last Friday directed primary and secondary school teachers in the FCT to embark on an indefinite strike over unresolved welfare issues, including the non-implementation of 25 and 35 per cent salary increases, as well as a 40 per cent peculiar allowance.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

2 hours ago

US lifts 12-year entry restriction on vessels from Nigeria

The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…

2 hours ago

2027: ‘Peace Accord Meaningless Without Justice, Accountability’ — Adebayo

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has questioned the effectiveness…

2 hours ago

Drug allegations: Tinubu backs US request for 10-day delay in records release

President Bola Tinubu has joined a request by the United States Department of Justice for…

2 hours ago

Tinubu, EFCC Boss Meet on Seized Houses After Osun Freeze Row

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday met with the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial…

2 hours ago

I would have helped Tinubu win Osun — Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said he could have helped President…

2 hours ago