Judiciary

BREAKING: Court rejects bid to bar Senator Ireti Kingibe from ADC activities

Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has rejected an application seeking to bar Ireti Kingibe from participating in the activities of the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

 

The application was filed by leaders of the party in Wuse Ward of the Federal Capital Territory, who alleged that the senator had been suspended over anti-party activities.

 

In his ruling on Thursday, Justice Lifu declined the request for an interim injunction, holding that such discretion in political matters must be exercised judicially and judiciously.

 

Instead, the court directed the plaintiffs—ward leaders said to be loyal to the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike—to put the senator on notice to enable her respond to the allegations.

 

The judge emphasised that justice would only be served when both parties are heard on the merits of the case.

 

He subsequently ordered that all court processes be served on Kingibe to allow her prepare her defence and participate fully in the proceedings.

 

The matter was adjourned to April 20, 2026, for hearing.

 

The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CV/539/2026, was filed by Okezuo Godfrey Anayo and Isaiah Ojonugwa Samuel on behalf of themselves and other ward members, with Kingibe as the sole defendant.

 

The plaintiffs, through their counsel Kolawole Olowookere (SAN), had sought an order restraining the senator from parading herself as a member of the party or participating in its activities pending the determination of the substantive suit.

 

They also asked the court to bar her from attending meetings, performing party functions, or interfering with the administration of the ward.

 

According to the plaintiffs, Kingibe was suspended on March 10, 2026, over alleged anti-party activities, gross misconduct, and confiscation of ward records, claims they said followed due process under the party’s constitution.

 

However, a lawyer, Abubakar Marshall, who appeared for the senator, informed the court that a preliminary objection had already been filed challenging the suit.

Olayinka Babatunde

Recent Posts

Wike to Kingibe: You’ve Failed, Electoral Defeat Awaits You

Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike, has launched another attack on Senator Ireti Kingibe,…

4 hours ago

US lifts 12-year entry restriction on vessels from Nigeria

The United States Coast Guard has lifted the Condition of Entry imposed on vessels arriving…

4 hours ago

2027: ‘Peace Accord Meaningless Without Justice, Accountability’ — Adebayo

The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Adewole Adebayo, has questioned the effectiveness…

4 hours ago

Drug allegations: Tinubu backs US request for 10-day delay in records release

President Bola Tinubu has joined a request by the United States Department of Justice for…

4 hours ago

Tinubu, EFCC Boss Meet on Seized Houses After Osun Freeze Row

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday met with the Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial…

4 hours ago

I would have helped Tinubu win Osun — Wike

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said he could have helped President…

4 hours ago